Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 2 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 15, 2016 - 01:06 PM

Boat Summary:
Soundown's address is Soundown Corporation at 16 Broadway, Salem, MA 01970, Tele: 978-745-7000 / Fax: 978-745-0900 / www.soundown.com. I have been to the location and they were very helpful. Have talked to them on the phone and they did answer. Hope this helps.

Reply with quote Back to top
diannedriOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2016 - 09:06 PM

49north wrote:
Does anyone know anywhere I can buy the Soundown underlay? I have contacted Sundown (twice) by phone and e-mail but still with no response.
I did notice this product from Cyber Bridge Marine. Is this the Sundown product? Sure looks like it.
http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/Carpet-Underlayment-Soundproofing.html
Thanks.
Jonathan
28 Open Fisherman
Vancouver, Canada

Soundown is in Salem, MA

49northOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Thanks, Jimb. I've ordered some underlay from Cyber Bridge Marine, and if that doesn't work I'll try Soundown again.

brandywineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 06, 2016 - 07:53 PM
Ask Clive Moderator

Boat Summary: "Brandywine", Hull #219. Hailing Port: Providence, RI Home Port: Annapolis, MD 1991 CD28 FB
Johnathan:

I just replaced all of the engine sound insulation (removed engine and all tanks) and added the carpet underlay from Soundown. It made a huge difference.

Contact Gary Kissal at gkissal@soundown.com He was a great help. I also ordered and installed the gaskets for the engine hatch.

Mark Cline
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD

SkeetsdadOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2016 - 10:17 AM

Boat Summary: Cape Dory 28 Flybridge Hull #076, now SEAHORSE previously ANNIE, previously FANTASTIC T
Hi Mark,

Sounds like you have done a lot of work this winter on Brandywine! Did you put any sound insulation under port side bench seat? I was considering a layer of carpet underlay along the bottom of the storage area. Can you tell me wha you used for hatch gasket material? I just used foam insulation gasket and it did make a difference.

Rick

49northOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Quick update on my sound insulation efforts; I ordered what I thought was Sundown underlay from "Cyber Bridge Marine". They sent me a receipt, but never shipped the product, have a phone that only rings busy and a customer service line that says "leave a message". I assume they have gone out of business. Fortunately, it appears they never charged my credit card. A strange episode. I'll try Soundown directly, as I see their contact info above.
I also ordered some insulation material from West Marine, that goes on the underside of the deck. Installation is a bit involved, as securing pins must be epoxied on first. I'll start that project shortly.
Very interested to know what you've used as gasket material for the hatch covers; I'm getting a lot of vibration and noise from glass rattling against glass.

brandywineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 18, 2016 - 12:33 PM
Ask Clive Moderator

Boat Summary: "Brandywine", Hull #219. Hailing Port: Providence, RI Home Port: Annapolis, MD 1991 CD28 FB
Good Morning, Rick. After the tanks were removed, I installed new sound insulation under the entire wheelhouse cabin sole including the port side settee. In addition, sound insulation was installed on the forward and rear bulkheads and against the hull from the tank supports up to engine air vents. The insulation under the hatches is relatively recent. I did install the carpet underlay in one of the compartments under the settee. The other has the air conditioner. Soundown has an on-line catalog page (PDF) of their gasket material. I purchased sort of "D" shaped material for the engine hatch. I just installed a simple gasket on the small generator hatch.

Good luck with your project -

Mark
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD

Jump to: