Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 2 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tomkielyOffline
Post subject: Fresh Water Plumbing  PostPosted: Apr 01, 2011 - 12:45 PM

Boat Summary: Irenicon is a 1989 Flybridge Hull # 192. Her home port is Manchester, MA
I just bought hull # 192 and need to make some modifications to the pressurized fresh water system. The grey poly tubing and fittings do not look the same as what is currently on the market. Does anyone have experience with making modifications or know whether the original material is still available or compatable with what's now available?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Reply with quote Back to top
CapeDoryBobOffline
Post subject: RE: Fresh Water Plumbing  PostPosted: Apr 05, 2011 - 11:07 PM

Boat Summary: "Elephant Shoes" #157. Moored in Huntington Harbor, LI NY. Repowered with 4cyl Yanmar diesel-240HP
Tom,

Welcome aboard. I have the same gray pipe & connectors aboard Elephant Shoes. I was cruising up the Erie canal this past summer and was in a rather large (Ace) hardware store and found Qest plumbing conections which match the pipe and connections on my boat. I purchased a few different connections just to have some spare parts. These connections can be used with Qest pipe, PEX pipe and CPVC pipe. I spoke with the hardware store owner and he told me that this plumbing is used in moble homes and campers.

My local Home Depot / Lowes does not carry this because it does not meet local building code. I am sure you can find it on the net or in a hardware store in a rural area.

I did some searching and found the following:
http://www.mobilehomedepotmi.com/parts_pages/fittings_qest.htm
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-336-polybutyl-elbows-and-tees/5-8-od-qest-elbow--610990.aspx

Good Luck & have fun,
Bob

I am planning a trip to Block Island & Cuttyhunk this summer.

tomkielyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 06, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Boat Summary: Irenicon is a 1989 Flybridge Hull # 192. Her home port is Manchester, MA
Bob - Thanks for the info. and the effort you made on the research, I appreciate the help. I usually cruise Buzzards Bay for a couple of weeks each summer; but since I'm bringing the boat up to Manchester, MA from Groton, CT after her launch at the end of May or early June I may not make it back down this year. If I do, I'll see if we can arrange to meet up.

Tom

vibound2000Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 - 12:00 AM

Try Campers World. I had the same plumbing in my RV. Found a source that was closing out of all the fittings and bought them for pennies on the dollar. Like an idiot I forgot to remove the box of supplies when I sold it only to find the same type of plumbing on my CD. Live and learn I guess.

St Thomas, VI

bpikeboatsOffline
Post subject: Pex vs. Qest  PostPosted: May 17, 2017 - 06:27 PM

Boat Summary: Looking for a Cape Dory 28 Flybridge
I had Qest polybutelene fittings on my boat and replaced 'em all with Pex tubing and Sharbite fittings. Replaced the whole system and never a leak. The old Qest fittings had a tendency to leak, break, etc. Expensive job but, I trust, long lasting. You can tie into Qest tubing with Sharkbites, by the way. Sharkbite makes fittings especially for that.

Jump to: