Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 4 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bamartin06Offline
Post subject: Waste Tank lines  PostPosted: Feb 28, 2011 - 11:41 AM

Boat Summary: "Sea Otter" Hull #131, Wakefield, RI, 1987 Flybridge Cruiser
I'm in the midst of replacing waste tank hose. Last done in 2004, the hoses are just now becoming apparent, if you know what I mean. It might be apparent but can anyone tell me why I can't eliminate the hose from the head through the "Y" valve to the discharge seacock and then eliminate this seacock. All waste would then flush into the holding tank. The tank is either pumped out at the dock or pumped through the macerator and discharged overboard. This eliminates the "Y" valve and three feet of hose. I would think that any hose I can eliminate is a plus....

Reply with quote Back to top
JoeBoaterOffline
Post subject: RE: Waste Tank lines  PostPosted: Mar 01, 2011 - 06:22 PM

Boat Summary: "Mariner II", Hull #047. 1986 28 Flybridge. Shipwright Harbor, Deale, MD
I eliminated mine. I have one hose, running from the head to the tank, period. I always just use a pumpout. I had capped off the seacock temporarily, but I'm getting ready to install a washdown pump, and I plan to use the seacock for that.

So far, it has been a great decision for me, though I wonder if I might want it back someday when I travel beyond the Chesapeake Bay.

ekroekerOffline
Post subject: RE: Waste Tank Lines  PostPosted: Mar 01, 2011 - 10:35 PM
Site Admin

Boat Summary: "Sea Queue:, Hull #190. Fall River MA, 1989 CD28 cruiser.
Sea Queue was originally rigged by Standish Boat Yard with 2 Y valves and the single factory seacock. This was to allow direct head-overboard as well as pump-overboard.

After the 2nd y-valve replacement cycle (I'm an original owner, so there are now more than 2 decades of maintenance), the next time I removed both y valves. The head ONLY goes to the tank. The tank still has an overboard pump option.

I was never USING the head when more then 3 miles offshore. SOMETIMES I use the pump overboard when 3 miles out, but rarely. Nearly always pumpout on shore (my regular fuel vendor has an EXCELLENT vacuum pump out that really works well).

kg4mdxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2011 - 12:35 PM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
The best solution is, I think, to have the head discharge hose go direct to the tank and then have some way to empty the tank if no shore side pump-out is avilable. On the Great Lakes, in New England, on the Chesapeake and in Florida access to shore side pump-outs is generally not a problem. But on the Gulf Coast and in a few parts of the Carolinas and Georgia, while things are improving, you can still have a hard time finding an open, working and accessable pump-out. Walkabout has a 20 gallon waste tank (when I put a new one in I did a one-for-one exact replacement...the easiest thing to do) and in full time use, even with careful, limited pumping, two people will fill a 20 gallon tank in about four days. Our tank has a standpipe and pumps out from the top, not the bottom, and I have a "T" on the pumpout side rather than a Y-valve. One side of the T goes to the deck pumpout and the other to the maserator and overboard.

bamartin06Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2011 - 12:25 AM

Boat Summary: "Sea Otter" Hull #131, Wakefield, RI, 1987 Flybridge Cruiser
OK folks... thank you very much for your replies. It seems you all agree this extra 3' of waste hose and the "Y" valve can be eliminated. I'm going straight to the holding tank. Two more questions... I'll be leaving the direct discharge seacock intact. What have you done to isolate it? The seacock "stem" is ripped to accept hose.... Is there a fitting or a "dead" piece of hose with SS clamps used to isolate this seacock? Also, what are your views on using rigid pipe where possible? I'm told rigid pipe completely eliminates odor... I'd use rigid pipe for the run between the bowl, through the bottom of the sink stand, through the hanging closet and beneath the starboard V-berth. Just before the line begins the 90 deg turn to approach the waste tank positioned on the center line under the V-berth I was going to change back to flexible marine hose. Sea Otter has a 20 gal holding tank with the fitting on the top. I'm replacing this in-kind.

JoeBoaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2011 - 11:22 AM

Boat Summary: "Mariner II", Hull #047. 1986 28 Flybridge. Shipwright Harbor, Deale, MD
I attached enough hose to the seacock to bring it above waterline, and then capped the hose. I believe I had to use a coupler - barbed on one and threaded on the other - and a threaded cap, though I can't quite remember. I didn't love the setup, but it was above waterline and temporary. Just make sure you've capped it securely and you're comfortable with it.

KellieAnnOffline
Post subject: foul smell possibly coming from waste lines or loop vents  PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 - 12:31 AM

Boat Summary: Hull #182, Narragansett Bay, RI.
How do the stainless vented loops located at the high points in all the waste hoses work. Do they need maint, can they leak bad smell

kg4mdxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2012 - 02:47 AM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
The vented loops, which need to be well above the water line, prevent back flow into the toilet. The Jabsco and the black Forespar vented loops have a small rubber duck bill valve that will wear out over time and can clog with salt, in either case it will gape open (not close) like an old, salt crusted joker valve. When it does that you can really smell it because air and sometimes drops of liquide from inside the hose emerge with every flush. The expensive stainless steel ones use a spring loaded ball valve, but the same thing happens. To clean it, take the loop out and soak it in strong vinager (8% or better) and then flush with fresh water. You used to be able to buy spare rubber valves for the Jabsco and Forespar valves but no one sems to have them anymore.

To clean salt out of your toilet hoses, go to a good garden shop and get a couple gallons of 20% vinager (its sold to kill weeds and grass). Pump the toilet dry, carefully and slowly pour in a half gallon of the 20% vinager and flush it through, then put the second half gallon in, wait a half hour and flush the system, should be salt free. The stuff will clean the holding tank too.

Aboard Walkabout the direct overboard seacock is capped, sealed. Everything goes to the holding tank which does have a macerator pump/overboard option. We have driven the boat from Maine to Texas and, except for parts of Louisiana and the extreme west parts of the Texas coast (not worth the effort) have had no trouble finding pump-outs. In the Bahamas, you are on your own.

Jump to: