Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 3 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kg4mdxOffline
Post subject: Maryland to Alabama  PostPosted: Dec 11, 2010 - 05:08 PM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
Maryland to Alabama:
Walkabout left Baltimore on 15 September and after messing around on the Chesapeake for a month, started south: down the ICW tp Stuart, Florida, across Florida on the Okeechobee Waterway, up the west coast of Florida and along the Gulf Coast to Mobile Alabama. We reached the grand Mariner Marina on the Dog River outside Mobile on December 3, 2010...we are slow. In January, after the holidays we'll return to the boat and carry on to South Padre Island, Texas.
On the trip so far we have run the diesel (TAMD41A) for 266.1 hours and burned 642.2 gallons of diesel for an average fuel use of 2.41 gallons per hour. Average speed has been about 8.5 to 8.7 knots or about 10 mph, a good speed for doing the ICW and the GIWW. The only eqipment problem so far was our Raymarine DS600 Fish Finder, the transducer failed (same thing happened on our sailboat down in Puerto Rico 12 years ago!).
Most interesting thing so far? Running from Steinhatchee to St. Marks on Floridas west coast, we were 20 miles offshore in flat calm water 12-15 feet deep and the bottom was almost as visible as it is on the Great Bahama Bank. Photos from the trip so far are posted on www.picasaweb.google.com/walkaboutnorfolk.

Reply with quote Back to top
bamartin06Offline
Post subject: RE: Maryland to Alabama  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2010 - 02:37 AM

Boat Summary: "Sea Otter" Hull #131, Wakefield, RI, 1987 Flybridge Cruiser
Bill... you're my hero. I only hope that someday I'll be able to make a similar trip. It's my dream.

ttasmaOffline
Post subject: When You Are in Texas  PostPosted: Dec 17, 2010 - 08:47 PM

Boat Summary: Freelance Houston, Texas 1990 Flybridge Cruiser Hull #211
I noticed you are planning a trip to South Padre after the holidays. I own hull 211 Freelance. It is docked in Clear Lake off Galveston Bay. If you feel like visiting when you pass through Galveston let me know.

Tom Tasma
281-678-8230
ttasma@comcast.net

kg4mdxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 18, 2010 - 12:42 PM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
Tom,
We well most likely stop in Clear Lake for a day or three, or some where near by, as Betty's family lives in Houston (our house is in the rather small town of Round Top). When we'll get there is an open question. It looks like the weather pattern that will be in place through January is going to make for fairly slow going. I'll try to make sure that your notified before we get there. The boat is now 155 miles east of Harvey Lock and Galveston is 354 west of the lock so we are still 525 or so miles from Clear Lake (and then another 250 or so to South Padre).

Bill
904-477-3653
walkaboutnorfolk@yahoo.com

Jump to: