Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 4 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shawn.geraghtyOffline
Post subject: Flybridge .vs. Cruiser  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2008 - 04:00 PM

Boat Summary: Soft Shell, Annapolis MD, 1985 Cruiser, Hull 006
Hi All:

We've decided on purchasing a CD 28 for family cruising. We like the look of the Cruiser style, and like that fact that when travelling, the driver would be down with the rest of the family. However, input from friends and other owners say that the flybridge has many benefits over the Cruiser style.

I would appreciate any comments, pro/con, for each of the styles.

Thanks in advance.

Reply with quote Back to top
brandywineOffline
Post subject: RE: Flybridge .vs. Cruiser  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2008 - 04:38 PM
Ask Clive Moderator

Boat Summary: "Brandywine", Hull #219. Hailing Port: Providence, RI Home Port: Annapolis, MD 1991 CD28 FB
Shawn:

The hardtop and flybridge cruisers both have pros and cons. However, it is important to know exactly how and where you will be using the boat to make the right choice. Since both models have a helm station below, that really should not be a consideration. If you want to carry kayaks and other large water toys, the hardtop is the obvious choice. Remember that a dinghy can be attached to the swim platform or hung on davits off the stern. Also, if you are or will be boating in an area with bridge height restrictions, the hardtop may also make sense. However, the flybridge model does provide more usable space and much better visibility underway. The bridge is not comfortable in adverse weather conditions or rough (and especially beam) seas. This boat does tend to roll a bit. Another consideration is weight and fuel consumption. The flybridge model is heavier and has more windage which increases fuel consumption slightly depending upon your speed, prop specs, and type of engine (gas or diesel). If you have small children, I'd recommend installing weather cloths and a canvas gate on the bridge. Also, be sure you understand all of the improvements that Cape Dory made on the 1990 and 1991 model years. Some of these may be important to you and your family. For example, the new models include a bow rail that comes all the way back to the cockpit. This would be important if you have small children or spend the majority of your time single handing the boat. Overall, it is important to think about how you and your family will be using the boat and if the bridge would increase or decrease your enjoyment of the boat.

I'll be happy to answer any additional questions you may have concerning the boat.

Best of luck in your search. It took me several years to find mine.

Mark Cline
CD28FB #219
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD

wlpxa24Offline
Post subject: RE: Flybridge .vs. Cruiser  PostPosted: Nov 30, 2011 - 07:21 AM

Most flybridge boats up there are going to be displacement or semi-displacement hulls. All express cruiser are planing hulls. You can't get much more different than that! The flybridges are most likely going to be inboards, the express cruisers in that size are probably going to be I/Os. Again, you can't get much different than that.
Do you mean that you actually go out boating on your weekend trips? Or will you use the boat as a floating camper, tied to the dock all day?

Jump to: