Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 1 unlogged user and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
djmarchandOffline
Post subject: Trailering a Hardtop  PostPosted: Nov 10, 2010 - 03:59 AM

I am a new owner of a CD28 power cruiser and have become interested in the possiblility of trailering her- south to Florida in the winter, north to Maine in the summer and cruise the Chesapeake in between.

I have done a fair amount of research on the subject and this is what I think I know.

1. A full blown galvanized trailer with all of the features to float on and off the boat will weigh 3,000 lbs and cost $13,000 (current Triad quote). That puts the all up trailering weight at about 12,000+ lbs.

2. A more limited aluminum trailer (no float on capability) will weigh about 1,500 lbs and cost $6,000 or so. But I will have to fit it to the boat myself by installing bunks at the proper height. I am a little unsure about the pricing but several vendors advertise a 12,000 lb rating aluminum trailer in this price range.

3. It will take a full one ton pickup to pull it and preferably one with a diesel. The diesel will get about 10 mpg pulling this rig.

4. Overwidth permits typically cost $30 per state for one time use. So it will cost about $200 each way for the Florida trip and about $300 for the Maine trip.

So from what I can see right now this looks feasible. Does anyone have any real experience doing this?

David

Reply with quote Back to top
dparisOffline
Post subject: Towing CD28  PostPosted: Dec 23, 2010 - 04:17 AM

Boat Summary: "Frosty Boy:, Hull #111. Whittier, Alaska, 1987 CD28 Cruiser.
I have the full blown Triad trailer for a CD28. The boat was towed by someone else from Boston to Seattle with a F250 Diesel. I presently tow it twice a year, about 60 miles each way. Let me know if you are interested in more info.

djmarchandOffline
Post subject: RE: Towing CD28  PostPosted: Dec 25, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Dan:

Your trailer must be the one featured in the Triad picture gallery. FWIW to duplicate that trailer would cost upwards of $13,000 today!!! Wow!!!

Do you launch it from a ramp and use the extended tongue? I assume that it takes a fairly steep and long ramp to launch it. I am considering foregoing the expense of the tongue and dolly wheel and use a Tavellift.

Thanks, David

dparisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2011 - 09:51 PM

Boat Summary: "Frosty Boy:, Hull #111. Whittier, Alaska, 1987 CD28 Cruiser.
David,
I do use the extension and launch from a ramp. Actually the ramp is a little too steep. When loading with the bow of the boat on the bow stop the keel at the stern is above the keel guides on the trailer. Therefore I still need to center the boat on the trailer with rope or boat hook. Also as you pull the boat out and the stern lowers (hopefully between the keel guides) the bow actually rises in relation to the bow stop. No show stoppers, just details to pay attention to. I like the freedom of being able to launch and retieve when I want. Plus the Whittier Marina lift may or may not be available or may be broken. But in addition to saving the cost of the tongue and dolly wheel there are the brakes. I have electric over hydraulic so only the hydraulic is in the salt water. If the trailer never went in the water I would have gone with straight electric.

Jump to: