Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 2 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
shawn.geraghtyOffline
Post subject: Salon Berth  PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 - 06:31 PM

Boat Summary: Soft Shell, Annapolis MD, 1985 Cruiser, Hull 006
We just purchased Tilly, hull #006 from Mattapoisett. My issue is trying to figure out how the settee in the main salon converts into a berth.

The previous owner didn't have use for this, so never set it up. We definitely want to use this as a berth, at least some of the time.

My specific question is how the pull-out panel, from behind the settee, is supported. Is the table supposed to drop down and support the panel? Or is the table to be removed (which would suck since it is so big and where would we put it)? My guess so far is that the panel is somehow supported by the table.

Second, I'm assuming the panel is to rest on the cleats that are installed on the settee base. However, the slip pins on the panel do not match up with those in the settee base. They are about 1" higher than the pins when the panel rests on the cleats. Any ideas here?

Reply with quote Back to top
shawn.geraghtyOffline
Post subject: RE: Salon Berth  PostPosted: Jan 19, 2010 - 06:32 PM

I can post pictures is anyone thinks that would help.

Thanks.

sg

CapeDoryBobOffline
Post subject: RE: Salon Berth  PostPosted: Jan 20, 2010 - 01:24 AM

Boat Summary: "Elephant Shoes" #157. Moored in Huntington Harbor, LI NY. Repowered with 4cyl Yanmar diesel-240HP
Shawn,
I have been struggling with this bunk for several years. The first time I went to use it, I dropped the table but could not get the panel under the port windows to lock into place. What I found was with the table out this panel will fit in perfectly and lock in with the slip pins but is not supported from below. With the table as support nothing would go together.

Upon further investigation I found that the table had a 1/4" lip added to it over the years. To compensate for this lip, I routed out the bottom of the table the same amount as the lip to alow it to drop into place and made some 1/4" strips to place on top of the table and support the panal when it sat on top of the table. I also cut 1/4" or off of the top of the aluminum base the table slides into (up and down). Still could not get this bunk to work with the table. But seperately it works fine.

I finally gave up! Now I remove the table, and put it in the cockpit between the door and secure it to the fly bridge ladder when this bunk is needed. I use two 5 gallon buckets on each side of the table upright and I span the distance with two 2 X 4's that have been cut to the exact distance from the buckets to the bottom of the panel. The panel locks into place and it is well supported and secure.

If you find a fix, please let me know.

Post some photo's maybe someone can help.

Bob

shawn.geraghtyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 20, 2010 - 12:36 PM

Bob:

Thanks for the info. This is something that I definitely need to get working in the next month or so. I need to keep the kids out of the v-berth!!

It is good to hear that your panel isn't supported either. I guess the guy who designed this was hung-over that day!

I believe my table to be original. Its seen better days, and being the amatuer woodworker I, set out ot build a new one. But I ran into the same issue: If I used the table, you couldn't pin the panel in ... it was to high and the panel was not supported by the cleats on the settee.

I am going to look at moving the cleats up as a first step. This would allow the pins to lock in. Then maybe I can get the table to support the panel as well. I think that was the intent of the original design.

Wish me luck. sg

JoeBoaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2010 - 03:41 AM

Boat Summary: "Mariner II", Hull #047. 1986 28 Flybridge. Shipwright Harbor, Deale, MD
Hi Shawn:
I have hull #47, down in Deale, MD. Sounds like I have the same setup for the table/berth. On mine, the table does indeed drop down, and the panel from behind the settee rests on top of it. It's a snug fit, but the panel rests both on the table and on a ledge that goes along the perimeter of the L-shaped settee. Two barrel-bolts lock it in place. When I lift it from behind the settee, I rotate it 180 degrees, insert the aft part first, then lower the forward part into place.

Is Tilly the Cape Dory that was just trucked into Jabin's in Annapolis this week? If so, we're not far apart. Mariner II is on the hard at Herrington Harbour North right now. I'd be happy to meet you there if you'd like to see the berth put together.

Congrats on your purchase!

-Joe

JoeBoaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 21, 2010 - 03:48 AM

Boat Summary: "Mariner II", Hull #047. 1986 28 Flybridge. Shipwright Harbor, Deale, MD
Here's a picture that might help.

brandywineOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2010 - 05:12 PM
Ask Clive Moderator

Boat Summary: "Brandywine", Hull #219. Hailing Port: Providence, RI Home Port: Annapolis, MD 1991 CD28 FB
Shawn:

I saw your boat arrive at Jabin's. She is beautiful! I hope you'll be able to join the other local owners for our annual gathering. There are two other CD28's currently out of the water at Jabins Whiteout and mine, Brandywine. Where will you be keeping her?

You can reach me at cd28brandywine@verizon.net

Mark Cline
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD

larryfellOffline
Post subject: Alternative berth  PostPosted: Jan 28, 2010 - 09:23 PM

Boat Summary: "White Sand", Hull #167. Panama City, Fl, 1989FB
I added a 69 x 7 inch extension to the port side settee. No modifications or
additions were needed because the extension uses the same wood cleats
that support the double berth. The extension lifts on & off.
The table pillar clears the extension. Now the "Admiral" can lean against either bulkhead or stretch out and snooze on a 24" deep seat (29" with back cushion removed). Less motion & noise than in the forward cabin.
Also a big hit with kids and dogs. If a fourth berth is needed, I sleep on an army cot. The welded aluminum/plywood/ foam/sunbrella extension cost me about $150.
Happy to supply details. Larry

CapeDoryBobOffline
Post subject: RE: Alternative berth  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2010 - 02:23 AM

Boat Summary: "Elephant Shoes" #157. Moored in Huntington Harbor, LI NY. Repowered with 4cyl Yanmar diesel-240HP
Larry,
If possible could you post some photo's of your extension. A picture sez 1000 words.
Thanks

JoeBoaterOffline
Post subject: Described it wrong  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2010 - 01:26 PM

Realized I described the setup on Mariner II slightly wrong. The table rests on the ledge in the picture. The panel rests on the table, inserted between the table and the upper ledge piece.

Joe

shawn.geraghtyOffline
Post subject: RE: Described it wrong  PostPosted: Feb 24, 2010 - 03:03 PM

JoeBoater & Mark:

Thanks for the follow-up. And yes, we are in Jabins. We closed on Tilly (soon to be Softshell) from Mattapoisett in January. And I've been busy since.

Mark, I didn't now you were in Jabins. Whiteout's owner and I are good friends. You could say Anthony had a lot of influence on my decision on a CD28.

At first, I questioned the panel resting on the ledge, but now understand that the table rest on the ledge and the panel rests on the table. Thanks Joe for the clarification (and by the way, your blog is has been a great resource).

My issue is that for the bow end, the barrel bolt hole matches up, but the aft barrel bolt is about 1/4" to high. Everything looks original, so I can only guess that this never matched up, or the cleat was remove once and replaced at the wrong height.

Since our table has a lot of miles on it, I am thinking of cutting a new table to the same dimensions, except instead of 1.25" thick, pare it down to just an inch thick. The bow end will be slighty off the table, but I think there is enough play in the plywood to accomodate.

Thanks guys. And if you are even in Jabins, stop by. We are there until 4/1 and they off to Bay Ridge's marina.

sg

Jump to: