Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 2 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kg4mdxOffline
Post subject: Head Shower/Fawcett  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2008 - 01:59 AM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
On Walkabout the head Shower/Fawcett fixture needs to be replaced and I am having a hard time finding one that will fit. The existing fixture uses two holes in the vanity top that are 1 and 1/2" in diameter and are 4" apart, center to center. I need something that will fit those holes; West Marine, Defender, Hamilton Marine, etc. have nothing that comes close. Any ideas?
Bill Hezlep

Reply with quote Back to top
larryfellOffline
Post subject: Fawcett replacement  PostPosted: Nov 05, 2008 - 04:22 PM

Boat Summary: "White Sand", Hull #167. Panama City, Fl, 1989FB
Bill: On my last boat, I used a crome fawcett designed for use with household laundry sinks. Instead of a diverter valve, I jury rigged the old shower hose to fit the threaded nose of the spout. Never used it to shower inside, but we often threaded our white dock hose to the spout and passed the hose out of the head window. A very un-yachtsmen like washdown/shower hose.

BTW where/how did Cape Dory install their wash down systems? I was on one boat that had a hose barb in the anchor locker, but none in the cockpit. Stock? DIY?

My gas guzzler is lovin' the lower fuel prices. Larry Fell, Florida

JoeBoaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2008 - 04:41 AM

Boat Summary: "Mariner II", Hull #047. 1986 28 Flybridge. Shipwright Harbor, Deale, MD
Bill,
I replaced mine 2 years ago with one from West Marine:

Head faucet with diverter

On ours, it dropped right in, perfect fit. Sounds like your holes might be a bit smaller though. Might be worth a try.

Joe

kg4mdxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2008 - 09:27 PM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
Joe,
The head faucet/shower unit on Walkabout is a "Utopia Lav-A-Shower" made by Bristol Industries and still being manufactured. It is sold through RV supply places, in chrome, white and beige no less. Check out www.tomraper.com. Another good web site is www.mastlight.com, the place to get LED bulbs of all sizes and types. I wanted some LEDs that would fit the 4" ABI Dome Lights in Walkabout. West Marine's either would not fit or provided a dim and spooky light, I got some good ones that work well at mastlight.com ($15.00 each, not the $36.00 or $44.00 at West).

Walkabout is in Savannah, again on the way south for the winter. I have put a few new pictures on www.picasaweb.google.com/walkaboutnorfolk.

Bill

kg4mdxOffline
Post subject: Re: Fawcett replacement  PostPosted: Nov 06, 2008 - 09:42 PM

larryfell wrote:
Bill: On my last boat, I used a crome fawcett designed for use with household laundry sinks. Instead of a diverter valve, I jury rigged the old shower hose to fit the threaded nose of the spout. Never used it to shower inside, but we often threaded our white dock hose to the spout and passed the hose out of the head window. A very un-yachtsmen like washdown/shower hose.

BTW where/how did Cape Dory install their wash down systems? I was on one boat that had a hose barb in the anchor locker, but none in the cockpit. Stock? DIY?

My gas guzzler is lovin' the lower fuel prices. Larry Fell, Florida

Larry,
The original head faucet/shower on Walkabout was a "Utopia Lav-A-Shower", manufactured by Bristol Industries. Turns out they are still available, in chrome, white and beige, from a number of RV supply places. Check out www.tomraper.com. On Walkabout there is a fresh water washdown, with its own pump, the hose bib is installed below the shore power connector to stb in the cockpit. just out the cabin door. I am part way through installing a salt water washdown for the anchor chain, the pump will be on the back wall of the chain locker with a short piece of hose coiled right there and a deck mounted on/off toe switch. Any sort of wash down on a Cape Dory is "do it your self".

Walkabout is in Savannah, enroute to Melbourne and on to Biscayne Bay and Islamorada.Between Annapolis and here we have run mostly at 8 knots (1750 rpm) and have averaged 2.1-2.2 gph of diesel. Lowest diesel price seen, $2.63 at Swan Point, NC.

Bill

Jump to: