Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 4 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sanphotoOffline
Post subject: interior finish  PostPosted: Feb 16, 2008 - 11:01 AM

Boat Summary: "Tangent", Hull #118. 1988 28 Cruiser Annapolis MD
I am refinishing various pieces of teak on my cd this winter and am using Cetol Natural Teak finish on the exterior, but am also refinishing my interior cockpit step/box and the inside of the sliding door. I am trying to match the color of the rest of my interior which is a darker, more reddish color.
Does anyone know what kind of finish was used on the interiors of our CD's and were they all the same? As far as I know mine is original and has not been redone.

I seem to remember reading in the manual that the interiors were just oiled. Could that be all they used?

Thanks,
John
#118 Tangent

Reply with quote Back to top
mcastonOffline
Post subject: RE: interior finish  PostPosted: Feb 17, 2008 - 10:38 AM

Boat Summary: "Cathryn Gwen", Hull #141, 28 Cruiser
I used Howards Restore A Finish - Mahagony. I removed all interior trim, cleaned, sanded then Howards Product. Easy to apply. Comes out great. I will be posting before and after images soon. My interior was in need of restoration and thankfully no one before me made the attempt to refinish.

Boat Summary: "Cathyrn Gwen", Hull #141. 1988 Cape Dory Cruiser West Islip NY

larryfellOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 24, 2008 - 12:26 AM

Boat Summary: "White Sand", Hull #167. Panama City, Fl, 1989FB
John: I also completely re finished the interior (floors, bulkheads, doors and replaced the head liner) last year. The orginal finish was dry and a Porter Cable orbital sander (80 & 120 grit) quickly got down to new wood. Hand sanding and a cabinet scraper took care of the hard to get at spots. Some areas were water stained, bleached or dirty and I used Minwax's Cherrywood Gel Stain #607 to restore the color. The color on bulkheads did not need touching up (after sanding) and two coats of varnish completed the job. I prefer varnish because it is so easy to clean and mold cannot get into the finish. Whatever you do you will be thrilled with your brand new interior. Larry

Jump to: