Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 4 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tomkielyOffline
Post subject: MS4 Failure-Solved  PostPosted: Sep 03, 2017 - 08:20 PM

Boat Summary: Irenicon is a 1989 Flybridge Hull # 192. Her home port is Manchester, MA
Yesterday I had the unfortunate experience of having my transmission lock in reverse as I was backing off my mooring. Damaged a brand new 50' Hinckley power as the engine kill switch decided to stop working at the same time. I looked at other postings about repairing the MS-4 and other replacements, but most of the info. was 5+ years old. I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this issue in the last few years; and, if so, what are the current costs and other issues?

Last edited by tomkiely on Sep 07, 2017 - 08:59 PM; edited 3 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
MacDuffOffline
Post subject: RE: MS-4 Failure  PostPosted: Sep 04, 2017 - 03:13 PM

Boat Summary: Took ownership of Pearl Hull #18(formerly City Girl II) June 2016. Newington, NH
Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I have no experience with the MS-4. Hopefully you'll get somebody who has, to read your post. It's a shame this site isn't used more.

SeahorseOffline
Post subject: RE: MS-4 Failure  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2017 - 07:25 PM

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about the transmission failure. Ive have the MS4A as well and I read many posts about them. It seems its difficult to find anyone to repair them and when you do, its expensive. There is a marine transmission shop in Topsfield MA that may be worth a try. Atlantis Transmission.. Another option would be to find a working take out w/ same gear ratio. Theres one on ebay now with the right gear ratio for $4,500. I'm not sure there is any alternative tranny that will mate to the TAMD41 and fit our hulls. Ive read the HS is a no-go.

Did your transmission give any warning signs? Leaks, noise, vibration? Did you check fluid? I check mine almost every trip just looking for discoloration, loss of fluid.. I change it annually too.

Please keep us posted.

tomkielyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2017 - 01:10 PM

Boat Summary: Irenicon is a 1989 Flybridge Hull # 192. Her home port is Manchester, MA
Seahorse - Thanks for your reply. There was no warning or strange noises, it just could not be moved out of reverse with the shift control. Once in neutral, it would shift into reverse but not forward. I keep a regular watch on the fluid - no obvious issues. Some years I change it twice if the hours warrant, but a minimum of once at winter lay-up.

A friend of mine told me about Atlantic, and I've had a number of other recommendations, so I'll be following up. I will pass along any worthwhile info. when it develops.

Tom

tomkielyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2017 - 05:35 PM

MS4 problem solved - Shift linkage the issue, not the tranny.

MacDuffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2017 - 07:49 PM

Boat Summary: Took ownership of Pearl Hull #18(formerly City Girl II) June 2016. Newington, NH
That's gotta be a relief!

tomkielyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2017 - 10:40 AM

Big time.

SeahorseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2017 - 12:45 PM

Good news MacDuff!

Jump to: