Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 4 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
YachtjohnOffline
Post subject: Trim Tabs  PostPosted: Aug 09, 2017 - 10:52 AM

Boat Summary: 1985 Kaiser Gale Force 34' Pilothouse Cutter 1969 Bertram 20' Baron 1989 28' Cape Dory Flybridge
Does anyone currently have trim tabs? My 28' had them but when she was repowered from a gas motor to a yanmar 240 they were removed. I think she might ride better and a bit faster with them replaced. Looking for ideas. Thanks!

Reply with quote Back to top
SeahorseOffline
Post subject: RE: Trim Tabs  PostPosted: Aug 12, 2017 - 12:53 PM

I have fixed trim tabs that were installed by the previous owner. Not sure what angle they are at but I do think they make a difference. My hull rides at an acceptable attitude at pretty much any RPM. I suspect the fixed tabs do effect the boat when backing down. It seems whichever side has the bigger load, that tab catches water and the boat backs to that side. If you search for posts from Kinsman you will see he has a 28 with a 240 Yanmar and tabs and I believe he doesnt use them much.

KevinTOffline
Post subject: RE: Trim Tabs  PostPosted: Aug 15, 2017 - 05:58 PM

I have the 28 Open Fisherman, with a custom hardtop and the Yanmar 240. And trim tabs.... I never use them. I cruise at 17-18 knots, and the boat slows down a couple knots when I put the tabs down. With a quarter sea making the boat lean off to one side I can trim it out, but then it becomes wet, as down east styles tend to do... I went to full throttle once, at 22 knots, and engaged the tabs, and it scared the hell out of me. The steering got very twitchy !! It's not a good idea to keel walk with one of these boats.... semi-displacement boats don't want to plane out..... nor should they....
just my .02 worth....

1987 Open Fisherman, now with a custom hardtop!
Hull #104

Jump to: