Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 8 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bamartin06Offline
Post subject: Bilge Drain  PostPosted: Oct 10, 2010 - 11:23 PM

Boat Summary: "Sea Otter" Hull #131, Wakefield, RI, 1987 Flybridge Cruiser
I recently purchased a CD28 flybridge and want to thoroughly clean the engine compartment once the boat is up on the "hard" for the winter. It's absolutely filthy. I was hoping to first use a compressor and low-medium pressure air to blow all the loose particulate matter down into the bilge and then spray a biodegradable degreaser throughout... let that take effect then rinse everything down into the bilge.

Does anyone know if the hull of the 1987 CD28 flybridge has a bilge drain plug in the bottom of the bilge near the transom. It would make cleaning this engine compartment so much easier.

Reply with quote Back to top
kg4mdxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 - 12:42 PM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
Cape Dory did not routinely install garboard drain plugs in the 28' trawler or in the smaller sailboats. It is unlikely that you have one. I installed one on Walkabout last winter when the boat was up on land and the drain ended up about 4" from the absolute bottom of the bilge and 6" foreward of the aft end of the bilge--that was as far down and aft as anyone could reach. We put in a 3/4" plug and to get the last bit of slop out I use a hand pump with a 1/2" pick-up hose, either through the drain or through the cockpit hatch.

When you pull the boat have the boatyard block it slightly bow up so everything runs aft and remember to pull the drain plug in the aft end of the muffler.

Bill
Walkabout CD-28 153

bamartin06Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thanks Bill... What else should I remember when I have her hauled and winterized? ... engine fresh water cooling system, head/vanity sink, hot water heater, galley sink, shower sump and all associated lines and pumps. If there is no bottom plug in the bilge I'll pump the bilge down as best I can. I'll check the RACOR fuel filter housing and drain any separated water out. I'll probably have the yard install a through hull drain plug in the bottom of the bilge as you suggest.

I'm kind of new to this boat so any insight into the winterizing process or hidden plugs, drains, collectors etc... you can recommend I check I'd appreciate it.

alexanderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2010 - 09:01 PM

Boat Summary: Don't have one yet.
Hello, I'm new here but had the same problem on my former home, (Krogen 42). I used my 5 gal Sears shop vac to suck it dry after the bilge pump couldn't get any more. Worked fine. Good luck. Bob (future CD 28 FB owner)

bamartin06Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2010 - 11:07 PM

Alexander, welcome to the club... I cleaned the bilge out as best I can. Soaked up the last bit of liquid with a sponge tied to the end of a broom handle. I'm going to have a garboard plug installed in the bottom of the bilge this winter. Nearer to Spring, I'll steam clean the engine compartment and full length of bilge and drain everything out through the drain. The new bilge pump and float will hang down from a long handled pole specially designed to go around the shaft. I'll post pictures.

bamartin06Offline
12 Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 - 08:02 PM

I installed the pump and strainer on the engine stringer and the inlet hose (with screen) and float switch are down in the bottom of the bilge. The float switch is attached to a stick so I can bring it up for cleaning. If I need to clean the screen on the inlet hose I simply reach down and bring it up. With the strainer and pump up on the engine stringer I can easily reach both for cleaning or service.

Send me a pm if you want pictures.

MarkCOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 11, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Not sure if you still monitor this forum, thought I'd try! I bought hull # 179 last Fall and have no idea how I am going to check the keel bilge pump and switch which are attached to an "L" bracket hung on the aft engine shelf. Having read your post, I'm interested in how you solved this. If you are still around, I'd love piictures or advice! Thanks!

vibound2000Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2016 - 02:50 PM

I can manually suck the bilge down to about 1/8 - 1/4 inch with my set up and 1/4 - 1/2 on auto.

St Thomas, VI

Jump to: