Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 3 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
waymcnOffline
Post subject: Blocking Cape Dory 28 On the Hard  PostPosted: Oct 02, 2014 - 02:22 AM

Recently purchased CD 28 hull number 126-"Chesapeake". The vessel has been professionally restored this past year. We will be lifting out soon and would appreciate owner feedback as to keel blocking point locations and heights. I am planning on a stern point of 10" high and a bow point 20" high, stabilized with four boat stands. Comments please.

Reply with quote Back to top
larryfellOffline
Post subject: Blocking reply  PostPosted: Oct 03, 2014 - 11:42 AM

Boat Summary: "White Sand", Hull #167. Panama City, Fl, 1989FB
Hello. My 1989 CD has a vertical seam P&S that begins about 12 inches forward of the deadwood. No idea what it represents but I always block
Ahead of this seam. BTW I removed and old depth sounder about 18 inchs
Out from the keel in the same area. The glass was 1/2 thick. I can only assume
That the keel is the same or most probably much thicker. You may want to consider connecting the boat stands with a belly chain if dealing with mushy
Ground or high winds. Hope this helps. Larry In Florida

waymcnOffline
Post subject: RE: Blocking reply  PostPosted: Oct 03, 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thanks for your comment. I will look at our profile to see if the seam line you refered to is there. Have you owned your CD long and have you made many modifications? I have a list of ideas. Enjoy your nice weather, we lift out this weekend. Wayne on Georgian Bay Ontario.

joelomOffline
Post subject: RE: Blocking reply  PostPosted: Oct 03, 2014 - 10:19 PM

Boat Summary: Surprise..... Hull # 95 1987 FB Cruiser
Hello ... I'm assuming your're blocking this yourself, even if the yard is blocking it, tell them to block this way. The shoe or deadwood what Larry is referring to is bonded into the hull, the seam he mentioned is the terminus of the joint, he is correct to block forward of this indentation, blocking aft of this, risks separation, I know. Most of the weight of a CD is forward, block the stern, then block the bow a bit higher, so runoff goes to scuppers, I like to add blocking mid-point also, using shims if necessary to distribute the load evenly. Go to the gallery and look at Surprise # 95, the stern is blocked to far aft. The pics were before I bought it ..... hope this helps

Joe

waymcnOffline
Post subject: RE: Blocking reply  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2014 - 02:37 AM

Thank you for your further comment on CD block placement. I will definitely be mindful of the stern block point. I checked a photo taken before my purchase but could't distinguish any seam line. Any guess as to how far forward of the prop the block is placed? I picked up my boat stands today and I think I'll allow my stern point to be 4" high and the bow 8 to 10" high to encourage stern drainage. Wayne

joelomOffline
Post subject: RE: Blocking reply  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Boat Summary: Surprise..... Hull # 95 1987 FB Cruiser
When you haul out you should notice a slight step on the bottom of the keel, that is the bonding point .... block a bit forward of that point. If I can locate pics of my vessel, when I had to repair that area, I should be able to give you an approx. measurement.

Joe

DUH !!!!... I just remembered ..... google Cape Dory power promotional video & you'll see how that assembly is installed.

waymcnOffline
Post subject: RE: Blocking reply  PostPosted: Oct 05, 2014 - 12:50 AM

We lift tomorrow morning. Forcast cold and wet. I checked the boat manual and noticed a sling placement page. I assume that the stern lift point will be forward of the seam, it is 6.5 feet from the stern measued along the sheer.
Many thanks for your follow up. Wayne

brandywineOffline
Post subject: RE: Blocking reply  PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 - 08:57 PM
Ask Clive Moderator

Boat Summary: "Brandywine", Hull #219. Hailing Port: Providence, RI Home Port: Annapolis, MD 1991 CD28 FB
Be sure they block the spray rails when they haul the boat. There should be a 4x4 carpeted block placed at least two inches below the spray rails against the hull when hauling, or you risk snapping them off. Please send me PM if you'd like photos.

Mark Cline
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD

SkeetsdadOffline
Post subject: RE: Blocking reply  PostPosted: Dec 02, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Boat Summary: Cape Dory 28 Flybridge Hull #076, now SEAHORSE previously ANNIE, previously FANTASTIC T
I just had the hull of my 1987 CD28 flybridge soda blasted. I took some pictures of the hull and stern area. The "shoe" seams are clearly visible. The section of the hull where the prop shaft & rudder is mounted appears to be a separate section that is bonded to the hull. I have also heard this referred to as a "D-Block". It is clear that you do not want to bock aft of that joint. If anyone is interested in seeing the pics send me a pm.

Jump to: