Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 4 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Will_3Offline
Post subject: What is hull-speed for the CD28 ?  PostPosted: Jun 09, 2014 - 02:03 PM

Boat Summary: Miss Bobbit, 1985 Flybridge Cruiser, Hull # 140, East Central Florida
Just wondering if anybody knows the 'hull-speed' for the Cape Dory 28 Cruiser?

Or the other question is... what is the length at the water line (LWL) ... then you can calculate...

Hull Speed = (square root of LWL) * 1.34

Using this relationship and a LWL of 27 I get 6.96 knots.

Of course this is for a displacement-hull boat and I guess the Cape Dory 28 would be considered a semi-displacement hull... right?

The reason for the question... other than just basic curiosity... is finding the most efficient cursing speed when trying not to push an older motor to force the boat get up and travel on a plane...

and alternately not wanting to have the stern dug in a hole somewhere between hull-speed and ideal planing speed.

And to be able to compare fuel consumption at the ideal speed on a plane and the ideal speed when not on a plane... where ideal speed equals best mpg.

Then there is the question of what is the specified cursing rpm for the TAMD41A?

(I've heard WOT=3800 and cursing = 3600... which is different than the 80% to 90% of WOT I've always heard)

Regarding the rpm sweet spot... I have hard running diesel's at an rpm lower than that they are designed for can reduce engine life... is this anyone else's understanding.

Reply with quote Back to top
larryfellOffline
Post subject: hull speed  PostPosted: Jun 21, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Boat Summary: "White Sand", Hull #167. Panama City, Fl, 1989FB
Yes, the hull speed is about 7 knots. I cruise my Chrysler 360 (1.9: trans, 18x17x3) and cruise at 1700-1800 RPM. Depending on load and sea conditions my speed is 6.9-7.3 knots. My fuel flow meter shows a hair more than 3 GPH. Gas consumption rises DRAMATICALLY with each additional knot achieving one NMPG at 13 knots. And yes, it goes higher after that!!! Years ago I spoke with Jed and Connie ???? about their Great Circle Cruise. He kept careful records of diesel fuel purchased and decided that 7.3 knots was the most economical (for their overloaded) boat. I am about 50% sure he was burning about two GPH. Both Jed and I close our cruising day with a few miles of high RPMS to check out the cooling system and exhaust. I also think that trim tabs or lifting strakes would improve low speed fuel consumption/performance, but I don't think anyone has their boats equipped with fuel flow meters & trim tabs to verify.
Larry

Will_3Offline
Post subject: RE: hull speed  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2014 - 02:16 PM

Boat Summary: Miss Bobbit, 1985 Flybridge Cruiser, Hull # 140, East Central Florida
Larry,

Thanks for the info. Our boat has the original Volvo TAMD 41a diesel and we have been operating it at about 8.5 knots so we had a 10 mile per hour speed... but maybe we need to take it back to 7 or 7.5 for a long days run.

By the way, is NMPG mean No Miles Per Gallon?

vibound2000Offline
Post subject: RE: hull speed  PostPosted: Jul 13, 2014 - 12:24 AM

I also have a TAMD41A diesel. I generally cruise around 8 knots and burn about 2.5 gals per hr. give or take. Anything over 8 knots obviously increases fuel usage. According to the GPS I have gotten it up to 15.9 knots on flat seas but don't push it like that. I'd rather cruise slower, save money and enjoy the ride.

St Thomas, VI

ttasmaOffline
Post subject: RE: hull speed  PostPosted: Jul 15, 2014 - 04:54 PM

Boat Summary: Freelance Houston, Texas 1990 Flybridge Cruiser Hull #211
Will
Speed range for the 200 Volvo seems to vary from boat to boat I am sure depending of a variety of factors. My average cruise speed is 7.5 knots, a little over 2 gallons per hour, and when everything is perfect, water, boat bottom and load, my boat maxes out at 16 knots, probably 10 gallons per hour. Loaded for cruising it maxes out at 14 knots. Anything over 8.5 knots and I increase rpm to 3200 and cruise at 11.5 knots. Usually only when passing, or in rough choppy water. I wish I knew most efficient cruise speed. Max rpm for me with 18x14 four blade prop is 3800 to 3900.
Tom Tasma

jwandlingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 27, 2014 - 02:35 PM

I just purchased an 89 model with 200 hp volvo. Did about 550 miles on ICW, stayed mostly at 8.5 knots at 2700 rpm. Used a bit more than 3 gph. I plan to install 30 in Bennetts and will post results.

Will_3Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 30, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Good info folks. Thanks. Based on this info I think we are going to back down from our 8.5 knot cruising speed to 7.5 +/- .

Jump to: