Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 1 unlogged user and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Will_3Offline
Post subject: How many Cape Dory 28's were manufactured ?  PostPosted: Jun 09, 2014 - 02:10 PM

Boat Summary: Miss Bobbit, 1985 Flybridge Cruiser, Hull # 140, East Central Florida
Just wondering if anybody knows how many CD 28's were manufactured?

Thanks for any help.

Reply with quote Back to top
clrOffline
Post subject: RE: How many Cape Dory 28  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2014 - 03:45 PM

Boat Summary: Nor'easter Eliot, Maine 1986 Sport #502
From this site:

"CD28 power: 172 hulls (73%) tracked of maximum 238 (221 CD28 flavors, 17 280 Sports). 105 owners confirmed (75 are registered on this site). 1 hull known destroyed in storm."

It is too bad that the site is not kept up - I have Hull # 502 Jade. I purchased it from an owner in Florida last year and it is now home in Eliot Maine.

Will_3Offline
Post subject: RE: How many Cape Dory 28  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Boat Summary: Miss Bobbit, 1985 Flybridge Cruiser, Hull # 140, East Central Florida
clr, Thanks for the reply.

I agree about the site. I'm not sure who the admin is but I assume they do this in their spare time and if they are like most of us... after regular obligations and boating... there is not a lot of spare time left Smile

I bought Hull # 140 a couple of years ago in Stewart, FL and moved it up to the east central Florida area. It is the fly bridge model with the Volvo TAMD 41A diesel.

We have had a number of things done to bring it's maintenance up-to date.

We have also had a lot of boats... larger and smaller... but really love the Cape Dory 28.

We use it like a floating motor-home and cruise to our favorite places up and down the Inter-coastal Waterway in Florida.

We typically run at about 7.5 to 8.5 knots as we just enjoy being on the boat and going... so no rush unless weather or a deadline is at hand.

But, I'm not sure 7.5 to 8.5 knots is the most efficient low-speed cursing speed as it seems that the stern is starting to dig-in a little at 8.5... but the boat still handles and runs very well at that speed.

How is your boat powered and what speed do you normally curse?

vibound2000Offline
Post subject: RE: How many Cape Dory 28  PostPosted: Jul 13, 2014 - 12:31 AM

I have hull number 200 and purchased it in the Virgin Islands. I believe it once called Elliot Maine home (small world). It still has two Maine registration stickers on it. It too has the TAMD41A diesel 200 hp Volvo. I have pushed it on a flat sea to see what the GPS indicated and it showed 15.9 knots. I run about 7-8 knots as a general rule and get 2.5 gal per hour generally. It also has a flybridge. Just splashed her last week after a very long holiday weekend sanding, scrapping and painting. We love 'Emotional Rescue' and spend as much time off on her as we can. Heading to BVI this week for some fun with friends.

St Thomas, VI

ttasmaOffline
Post subject: RE: How many Cape Dory 28  PostPosted: Jul 15, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Boat Summary: Freelance Houston, Texas 1990 Flybridge Cruiser Hull #211
Will
The most common number I hear is 225.

Tom Tasma
Freelance Hull #211

Will_3Offline
Post subject: RE: How many Cape Dory 28  PostPosted: Sep 30, 2014 - 12:14 PM

Were the hull's not numbered in sequence? I see 'clr' above reports his hull number as #502.

Jump to: