Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 2 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
newthestonOffline
Post subject: Water heater  PostPosted: Feb 19, 2007 - 10:36 PM

Boat Summary: "Summer Sun", Hull #113, cape cod
I need to replace my water heater and am told the engine must be removed to do so. Can this be true? My boat is powered by a gas Crusader 270. Any info and guidance would be appreciated...newtheston

Reply with quote Back to top
johnfedwardsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 12:43 AM

Boat Summary: "Neo", Hull #164.
Hi There:

I replaced my H2o heater, it was installed right underneath the lower helm. I have a 200 Volvo and we did have to remove the heat exchanger, but certainly not the engine!

But given that you have a V-8.... If you really have to remove the engine, I would go to Maine & punch Andy!

Have you looked to see how much room you need?

Best of luck

John Edwards

JoeBoaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2007 - 04:54 PM

Boat Summary: "Mariner II", Hull #047. 1986 28 Flybridge. Shipwright Harbor, Deale, MD
Wow, I certainly hope that's not the case. I'll be tackling this soon as well. Mine is port side, under the aft bench. I had been hoping I could pull it up through the bench.

larryfellOffline
Post subject: Water heater replacement  PostPosted: Mar 16, 2007 - 11:52 AM

Boat Summary: "White Sand", Hull #167. Panama City, Fl, 1989FB
First Post. Very happy to be aboard my 1989 FB gas guzzler. Lots of fun stuff to do: New electronics, headliner, seacocks, and refinishing the interior. Just removed the Atlantic water heater. Did not have to remove the alternator. After removing the plywood panel that holds the Halyon extinguisher and fuel filter, you can attack the water heater. Your main problem is removing the engine feed hoses that run above the tank and prevent you from raising the tank to clear the shelve lip. The replacement is an Isotemp 5 gallon slimline (Defender Industries)which has all the hose connections on the front (unlike the Atlantic). I have had good luck with this heater in other boats. Larry Fell, Panama City, Fl

JoeBoaterOffline
Post subject: RE: Water heater replacement  PostPosted: Apr 30, 2007 - 12:42 AM

Boat Summary: "Mariner II", Hull #047. 1986 28 Flybridge. Shipwright Harbor, Deale, MD
Just finished replacing my water heater. As I mentioned, mine was port side, under the aft bench in the corner. It was a real bear getting down in there. My wife, great sport that she is, is smaller than me and actually got down in there to unscrew the rear mounting bracket.

The tank came right up through the seat opening. I put in a new Force 10 stainless tank, with all the fittings on the front. Easier to connect, but I had to reroute some of the hoses. We are thrilled that we finally have hot water, and just in time for the season!

CapeDoryBobOffline
Post subject: RE: Water heater replacement  PostPosted: Nov 14, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Boat Summary: "Elephant Shoes" #157. Moored in Huntington Harbor, LI NY. Repowered with 4cyl Yanmar diesel-240HP
I am having trouble with the A/C side of my hot water heater which is under the helm station. From what I can see, the water heater looks like a round aluminum tank. The CD owners manual has a Raritan water heater listed but it does not look like the info that Raritan sent me. Does anyone know what manufactures water heaters were being installed back in 1988 (hull #157)? Looking for parts...

Replacing may be the best choice but not an easy task.

Bob

ttasmaOffline
Post subject: RE: Water heater replacement  PostPosted: Nov 28, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Boat Summary: Freelance Houston, Texas 1990 Flybridge Cruiser Hull #211
Just finished replacing mine Bob. It was not an easy task. Sounds like your original Raritan has already been replaced. I replaced my Raritan with a smaller round 5 gallon tank. Even with the heat exchanger, alternator and raw water filter removed the square 6 gallon Raritan was difficult to remove. Good luck.

Tom Tasma
Freelance, Hull 211

tomkielyOffline
Post subject: RE: Water heater replacement  PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Boat Summary: Irenicon is a 1989 Flybridge Hull # 192. Her home port is Manchester, MA
Tom - When you say it was a difficult job, what do you mean exactly? Did you have to cut up the unit as you took it out? Can you tell me the dimensions of the unit you pulled out? I need to replace my water heater, but I don't think it is a Raritan. My boat yard is telling me there is no way to get it out without the engine removed.

I appreciate any help/advice you can provide.

Regards,

Tom

CapeDoryBobOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Boat Summary: "Elephant Shoes" #157. Moored in Huntington Harbor, LI NY. Repowered with 4cyl Yanmar diesel-240HP
I removed the old water heater in less than 20 minutes and from some photos I have seen on the internet it looks to be Seaward water heater. I will be replacing it with an Isotemp slim 20, not cheap. It is one of only a few that will fit in the same area under the lower helm station.

Bob

tomkielyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Boat Summary: Irenicon is a 1989 Flybridge Hull # 192. Her home port is Manchester, MA
Bob - Did you have to remove anything besides the heat exchanger and alternator?

Thanks,

Tom

CapeDoryBobOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 - 11:57 PM

Tom - I did not have to remove anything from the engine. That will vary with each hull and what engine is in it. I can walk around the Yanmar. Just hope I can install the new water heater as easy in the spring.

Bob

tomkielyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 - 12:28 PM

OK Bob - Obviously it's all about the engine. Wish I had that Yanmar to deal with instead of the Volvo.

Thanks,

Tom

Jump to: