Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Calendar :: Downloads :: Sections :: Links :: FAQ   

Contributions for site expenses gratefully accepted.

Online Summary

There are 4 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You are an anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
agandjack1Offline
Post subject: HEADLINER REPLACEMENT  PostPosted: Feb 18, 2012 - 01:01 PM

Boat Summary: "Snazzy", Hull #183. Moored in Allen Harbor, Davisville, North Kingstown, RI.
Hello, I'm considering replacing the headliner this winter while the boat is wrapped. Has anyone ever done this? Any recommendations for replacement material? Thanks.

Jack
"Snazzy" Narragansett RI

Reply with quote Back to top
larryfellOffline
Post subject: Headliner  PostPosted: Feb 18, 2012 - 04:16 PM

Boat Summary: "White Sand", Hull #167. Panama City, Fl, 1989FB
Jack: We used a product from Soundown Corp that featured a foam sound
barrier covered with white plastic vinyl. The material is thicker than orginal, but slightly longer screws thru the battens will grab and pull the battens tight. This material is not perforated and now I wonder if there is
a growing mold farm between the insulation and the fiberglass. No evidence of this, but someting to consider. Patterns were made from the old material We used professional grade 3M headliner adhesive. We have
a FB model and decided to work around the tube by dividing the last forward section along the centerline. A new batten hides the seam.
You will also need a long flat steel or aluminum batten and a box cutter to
cut the insulation. My job is three years old, easy to clean and I do not miss the dust from the decaying liner. Good Luck, Larry

agandjack1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Boat Summary: "Snazzy", Hull #183. Moored in Allen Harbor, Davisville, North Kingstown, RI.
Larry, thank you for your advice. It sounds like a good option. As you experienced, the foam backing on the original headliner is disintegrating, and the whole thing is sagging. Thanks again.

Jack

kg4mdxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
Jack,
When yellow pixie dust started raining down from the old insulated vinyl headliner fabric, we took the whole thing down, right to the fiberglass roof. The original was that insulated vinyl fabric glued to thin, cheap plywood panels. We installed new panels made of 5/16" inch of high grade marine plywood primed with 3 coats of "Kilz" to kill any mildew or mold and then painted the exposed side only with a good semi-gloss paint, no headliner fabric at all. Worked well, looks good, easy to clean. We used the original panels as templets when we cut the new panels.
Bill

CascadasOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Boat Summary: "Cascadas", Hull #117. Crownsville MD 1989 Cape Dory Flybridge 28'
Good timing, I am in the process of replacing my headliner. As stated my headliner too was worn out and if you touched it the dust would fall plus had a small leak from the flybridge. I have removed all the screws from the flybridge surround and intend to re-caulk and refastened (4hr. job) . I am replacing my headliner with a product I found at Home Depot called Veranda, a vinyl planking, 1/4" thick X 7 1/4" W X 86"L, ea. panel is 21.43" W covers 14.28 sq. ft around $35. Each section is bright white and has 3 -2" sections with a small beaded grove between the sections. Haven't installed yet but feels pliable enough to bend and will provide a bright easy to clean wood look. I asked about losing the insulation effect and was told that should be a concern. I'll try to post some pictures when I finish at the end of March.

kg4mdxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 25, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Boat Summary: "Walkabout", Hull # 153. Red hull, name in white letters on the side, fly bridge removed.
On Walkabout we have not noticed any changes in cabin temp caused by removing the foam backed fabric. That foam is only about 1/16th inch thick. Home Depot and Lowes sell a pink 1/2 inch thick closed cell foam insullation that comes in sheets and can be cut to shape with a razor or a large pair of scissors. At some point in the next whenever I'll spend a round-to-it, drop the headliner panels and put some of that stuff in, it can't hurt and it might help.
Bill

shawn.geraghtyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 15, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Boat Summary: Soft Shell, Annapolis MD, 1985 Cruiser, Hull 006
Jack:

I just completed the same job this winter. As others in this post, our original headliner was sagging and the foam disintegrated into dust.

I removed the outer trim, and the cross trim, and this enabled me to remove the panels. I considered replacing those panels with new 1/4 ply since we had some water damage due to 2 leaks. Even if I replaced them, my plan was to coat them with epoxy. In the end, I re-used three of the panels and replaced one, using the old panel as a template. Coated all of them with two coats of epoxy.

I found the replacement material online at Defender Marine. I think it was ~ $25/yard. You'll need five yards. They have the perforated and solid, in white and tan.

Defender also recommended the 3M spray adhesive, so I picked up a can of that as well.

Panels came out great! Now that I have the ceiling open, I hope to replace the old Furuno radar. Wish me luck in talking the wife into it!

Good luck.

dorydazeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 16, 2012 - 12:04 PM

Boat Summary: "Dory Daze", Hull #040.
I am in need of a headliner myself. Could you post some pictures?

Thanks
Phil

Jump to: